About the Pericles IV programme
The Pericles IV programme (follow-up to the Pericles 2020 programme) funds staff exchanges, seminars, trainings and studies for law enforcement and judicial authorities, banks and others involved in combating euro-counterfeiting. Actions can take place in the euro area, in EU countries outside the euro area and in third countries.
Applications by all EU Member States' competent authorities can be introduced to receive co-financing. DG ECFIN can also initiate actions to complement Member States' initiatives.
The Pericles IV programme dedicates a bit more than € 6 million for the implementation of the programme, for the period between 1 January 2021 and 31 December 2027.
The programme has two objectives:
- The general objective is to prevent and combat counterfeiting and related fraud, preserve the integrity of the euro banknotes and coins, thus strengthening the trust of citizens and business in the genuineness of these banknotes and coins and therefore enhancing the trust in the Union's economy, while securing the sustainability of public finances.
- The specific objective is to protect euro banknotes and coins against counterfeiting and related fraud, by supporting and supplementing the measures undertaken by Member States and assisting the competent national and Union authorities in their efforts to develop among themselves and with the Commission a close and regular cooperation and an exchange of best practice, where appropriate including third countries and international organisations.
Annual work programmes
Commission decision concerning the adoption of the work programme for the implementation of the Pericles IV programme for 2022:
Commission decision concerning the adoption of the work programme for the implementation of the Pericles IV programme for 2021:
What assistance is available?
The technical, scientific and operational support provided by the Pericles IV programme takes two forms:
- grants – co-financing for specific projects proposed by the relevant national authorities in response to its calls for proposals. This includes:
- exchange and dissemination of information, in particular through organising workshops, meetings and seminars, including training, targeted placements and exchanges of staff of competent national authorities and other similar actions
- technical, scientific and operational assistance, as appears necessary as part of the programme
- grants to finance the purchase of equipment to be used by specialised anti-counterfeiting authorities of third countries for protecting the euro against counterfeiting. The purchase of equipment shall not be the sole component of the grant agreement.
- projects initiated by the Commission – transnational conferences, training and workshops, in EU countries and outside the EU.
Who is eligible?
Bodies eligible for funding under the Programme shall be the competent national authorities referred to in Article 2(b) of Council Regulation (EC) No 1338/2001.
The Pericles IV programme primarily provides assistance to:
- national law enforcement agencies, national central banks and issuing institutions and judicial authorities in the public sector and
- commercial banks, money exchange offices and the cash-operated industry in the private sector.
How to apply?
Info for applicants/beneficiaries
To learn more about submitting an application, please check out the Webinar session: The Funding & tenders Portal for beginners.
- ECFIN PERICLES
- Correo electrónico